hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Belousov <sergey.belou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Splitting table from HBase shell using script
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:43:43 GMT
Thank you Esteban for reply

see inline

On Apr 17, 2015 12:50 PM, "Esteban Gutierrez" <esteban@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Sergey,
>
> My first question would be if you are turning off the HBase balancer
before
> splitting this region and how long between locating the region and then
> splitting the region has passed.

 I do not disable balancer before.

Also, are you splitting multiple regions
> per run of your ruby script or just one?

I do create multiple splits for the table at the time. But it all
sequential through shell

like

split 'table', 'splitkey1'
sleep(2)
split 'table', 'splitkey1'
sleep(2)
split 'table', 'splitkey1'
etc..

sergey.belousov@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I was looking into doing some splitting for the table (sort of in
> > production so I can not use SPLITS on create time) using 'split' command
> > from HBase shell. (0.98.9-hadoop2)
> > I have simple JRuby script where I just run 'split'
> > 'table_name','split_key' command using hbase shell /tmp/split_table.rb
> >
> > Time from time I have this error coming up
> >
> > ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException: Region
> >
> > [****************eaten by
> > mouse***************],1429257507107.82bfbd974d36db11075e4ef1da7abfed.
> > is not online on ******************,60020,1429256987509
> >         at

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getRegionByEncodedName(HRegionServer.java:2780)
> >         at

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getRegion(HRegionServer.java:4337)
> >         at

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.splitRegion(HRegionServer.java:4042)
> >         at

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.AdminProtos$AdminService$2.callBlockingMethod(AdminProtos.java:20170)
> >         at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2029)
> >         at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallRunner.run(CallRunner.java:108)
> >         at

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor.consumerLoop(RpcExecutor.java:112)