hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Removal of deprecated features
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:09:44 GMT
I thought "deprecated for a major version" meant that to be removed in e.g.
HBase 2.0.0 we had to have deprecated the API by HBase 1.0.0, that is to
say I thought we claimed a stronger stance than semver required specificly
for API compat. I can see the ambiguity though.

Are we removing deprecated things just for code cleanup, of because keeping
them around is limiting some other set of changes we want to make?

This ties back into discussions of how long we keep doing minor releases
once a newer major release happens. If we expect major releases to have a
good deal of overlap, then I'm less concerned about breaking old clients.
But if we expect people to go through a major release upgrade e.g. every 2
years in order to keep seeing updates, then I'd rather err on the side of
cruft if it makes downstream maintenance easier.

--
Sean