hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Matteo Bertozzi <theo.berto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client-Server wire compatibility?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 08:10:29 GMT
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 4:20 AM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:

> The idea actually was that a new client can never be 100% supported, since
> a user could use it accessing new features that the server does not
> understand.

I think that it is fine if we have exceptions not handled when a client
tries to ask a new features on an old server.
but my question was about old operations. e.g. Assuming that you do a
create table with all the arguments/configuration that the old server was
able to understand, is it fair to have a 1.1 client that throws an
exception against a 1.0 server because in the new 1.1 the create logic is
not compatible?