hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Francke <lars.fran...@gmail.com>
Subject Removal of deprecated features
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:52:41 GMT
I know this was discussed briefly last year[1] but I'd like to bring it up

I'd like to remove a bunch of deprecated features. Now with Semantic
Versioning this should be a bit simpler.

I propose the following:

* In the master branch (which will be released as 2.0.0 if I'm not
mistaken) remove (or undeprecate if it turns out the functionality is
actually still needed) all functionality that was marked deprecated prior
to 1.0.0 or in any 1.x release
* All new deprecations could mention a version when they are going to be
removed, according to SemVer this should be the next major version (e.g.
"This feature is scheduled to be removed in HBase 3.0.0"[2])

Do you think that's reasonable? If so I'm happy to file JIRAs and go
through the code to get started.

I think this is also in line with what our docs state: "An API needs to
deprecated for a major version before we will change/remove it. Example: A
user using a newly deprecated api does not need to modify application code
with hbase api calls until the next major version."

[1] <
[2] Similar to how Guava handles this <