hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of Huawei's 2' Indexing?
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:14:21 GMT
You’ll have to excuse Andy.

He’s a bit slow.  HBASE-13044 should have been done 2 years ago. And it was trivial. Just
got done last month….

But I digress… The long story short…

HBASE-9203 was brain dead from inception.  Huawei’s idea was to index on the region which
had two problems.
1) Complexity in that they wanted to keep the index on the same region server
2) Joins become impossible.  Well, actually not impossible, but incredibly slow when compared
to the alternative.

You really should go back to the email chain.
Their defense (including Salesforce who was going to push this approach) fell apart when you
asked the simple question on how do you handle joins?

That’s their OOPS moment. Once you start to understand that, then allowing the index to
be orthogonal to the base table, things started to come together.

In short, you have a query either against a single table, or if you’re doing a join.  You
then get the indexes and assuming that you’re only using the AND predicate, its a simple
intersection of the index result sets. (Since the result sets are ordered, its relatively
trivial to walk through and find the intersections of N Lists in a single pass.)

Now you have your result set of base table row keys and you can work with that data. (Either
returning the records to the client, or as input to a map/reduce job.

That’s the 30K view.  There’s more to it, but once Salesforce got the basic idea, they
ran with it. It was really that simple concept that the index would be orthogonal to the base
table that got them moving in the right direction.

To Joseph’s point, indexing isn’t necessarily an RDBMS feature. However, it seems that
some of the Committers are suffering from rectal induced hypoxia. HBASE-12853 was created
not just to help solve the issue of ‘hot spotting’ but also to get the Committers to focus
on bringing the solutions that they glum on in the client, back to the server side of things.

Unfortunately the last great attempt at fixing things on the server side was the bastardization
of coprocessors which again, suffers from the lack of thought.  This isn’t to say that allowing
users to extend the server side functionality is wrong. (Because it isn’t.) But that the
implementation done in HBase is a tad lacking in thought.

So in terms of indexing…
Longer term picture, there has to be some fixes on the server side of things to allow one
to associate an index (allowing for different types) to a base table, yet the implementation
of using the index would end up becoming a client.  And by client, it would be an external
query engine processor that could/should sit on the cluster.

But hey! What do I know?
I gave up trying to have an intelligent/civilized conversation with Andrew because he just
couldn’t grasp the basics.  ;-)

> On Mar 13, 2015, at 4:14 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>
> When I made that remark I was thinking of a recent discussion we had at a
> joint Phoenix and HBase developer meetup. The difference of opinion was
> certainly civilized. (smile) I'm not aware of any specific written
> discussion, it may or may not exist. I'm pretty sure a revival of HBASE-9203
> would attract some controversy, but let me be clearer this time than I was
> before that this is just my opinion, FWIW.
>

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Rose, Joseph <
> Joseph.Rose@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> I saw that it was added to their project. I’m really not keen on bringing
>> in all the RDBMS apparatus on top of hbase, so I decided to follow other
>> avenues first (like trying to patch 0.98, for better or worse.)
>>
>> That Phoenix article seems like a good breakdown of the various indexing
>> architectures.
>>
>> HBASE-9203 (the ticket that deals with 2’ indexes) is pretty civilized (as
>> are most of them, it seems) so I didn’t know there were these differences
>> of opinion. Did I miss the mailing list thread where the architectural
>> differences were discussed?
>>

>> -j

purely accidental.
Use at your own risk.