hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase security issue
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:30:17 GMT
Nope, goes beyond a VPN.

Securing a cluster can be a very painful task.

> On Mar 13, 2015, at 6:05 AM, Akmal Abbasov <akmal.abbasov@icloud.com> wrote:
> Hi Wilm,
> My initial choice was to use VPN, but I couldn’t find any related information.
>> Hi,
>> putting the many good hints in this thread aside ... isn't this more a
>> question of network deployment, than a question for hbase or hadoop
>> features?
>> I think a more general plan would be the usage of some VPN channel
>> technology. By this plan
>> a) the data is transferred secure
>> b) the machines are not accessible by the normal internet.
>> As database servers shouldn't be located in the normal internet, you
>> already have to use some sort of protection against the rest of the
>> world. VPN approach would work for distcp, exportSnapshot, cluster
>> replication, or plain file system (for scp or such).
> Could you please explain a bit more in detail how achieve exportSnapshot to go through
> Thank you.
>> And, I know that sounds like a joke, perhaps sending it by mail could be
>> a good plan. E.g. 10TB in one day (postal service is fast here ;) ),
>> this would be a throughput of around 115 MB per second and would be
>> super safe (pgp encryption is a good plan nevertheless).
>> Furthermore I think that's a question for hbase-user.
>> Best wishes
>> Wilm
>> Am 12.03.2015 um 18:38 schrieb Akmal Abbasov:
>>> Hi, I am new to Hadoop Hbase. I have a Hbase cluster in one datacenter, and I
need to  create a backup in the second one. Currently the second HBase cluster is ready, and
I would like to import data from first cluster.
>>> I would like to use exportSnapshot tool for this, I’ve tried it one my test
environment, and it worked well.
>>> But, since know I am going to export to a different cluster in different datacenter,
I would like to be sure that my data is secure. So how I can make exportSnapshot secure?
>>> As far as I understood exportSnapshot uses distcp tool to copy snapshot to destination
cluster, so in this case is it enough to configure distcp?
>>> Thank you!

purely accidental.
Use at your own risk.
Michael Segel