hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase 1.1 and MOB-Feature
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:18:19 GMT
Hi,

Am 24.03.2015 um 16:35 schrieb Nick Dimiduk:
> Are you referring to the new Admin, Table, BufferedMutator interfaces?
> Those are available now in 1.0.
yes, and the "TableName" implementation, which abstracts the "regular"
table name.

I also refer e.g. to the "hbase: the definitive guide" (I think second
edition *scratch at head while trying to find the edition*) at page at
page 80 "Simple put example", where the code example is.

Quote:
==
Configuration conf = HBaseConfiguration.create();

HTable table = new HTable(conf, "testtable");
==

which is depreceated but I think still widely used (e.g. by myself
before I dug more deeply into hbase). I guess that all the "old" API
will be useable in the 1.X series, but will be kicked in the 2.X
releases. Thus I think that there will be a discussion here regarding
the 1.2 vs. 2.0 release.

On one hand: the jump to 2.0 would "break" a lot of applications which
are developed against 1.X. On the other hand ... at some point this has
to be done. Or the discussion to let e.g. HTable survive (at it is in
the 2.0.0 snapshot API right now) or to kill it alltogether for the
Table API. Or weather there is enough bandwidth to do both, etc..

I know, it's easy to change all the client stuff to the new API. But
that's a developer point of view :/.

But I didn't want to create a discussion about something that will be
newsworthy in 6 month or so. I'm just, let's say academically, curious
how this will be solved. I think it will be an interesting discussion.
It was just a side note. Sry for bringing that up unintentionally.

But now I shut up and hack ;).

Best wishes

Wilm