hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase security issue
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:00:23 GMT

putting the many good hints in this thread aside ... isn't this more a
question of network deployment, than a question for hbase or hadoop

I think a more general plan would be the usage of some VPN channel
technology. By this plan
a) the data is transferred secure
b) the machines are not accessible by the normal internet.

As database servers shouldn't be located in the normal internet, you
already have to use some sort of protection against the rest of the
world. VPN approach would work for distcp, exportSnapshot, cluster
replication, or plain file system (for scp or such).

And, I know that sounds like a joke, perhaps sending it by mail could be
a good plan. E.g. 10TB in one day (postal service is fast here ;) ),
this would be a throughput of around 115 MB per second and would be
super safe (pgp encryption is a good plan nevertheless).

Furthermore I think that's a question for hbase-user.

Best wishes

Am 12.03.2015 um 18:38 schrieb Akmal Abbasov:
> Hi, I am new to Hadoop Hbase. I have a Hbase cluster in one datacenter, and I need to
 create a backup in the second one. Currently the second HBase cluster is ready, and I would
like to import data from first cluster.
> I would like to use exportSnapshot tool for this, I’ve tried it one my test environment,
and it worked well.
> But, since know I am going to export to a different cluster in different datacenter,
I would like to be sure that my data is secure. So how I can make exportSnapshot secure?
> As far as I understood exportSnapshot uses distcp tool to copy snapshot to destination
cluster, so in this case is it enough to configure distcp?
> Thank you!

View raw message