hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Akmal Abbasov <akmal.abba...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: hbase security issue
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:05:30 GMT
Hi Wilm,
My initial choice was to use VPN, but I couldn’t find any related information.

> Hi,
>
> putting the many good hints in this thread aside ... isn't this more a
> question of network deployment, than a question for hbase or hadoop
> features?
>
> I think a more general plan would be the usage of some VPN channel
> technology. By this plan
> a) the data is transferred secure
> b) the machines are not accessible by the normal internet.
>
> As database servers shouldn't be located in the normal internet, you
> already have to use some sort of protection against the rest of the
> world. VPN approach would work for distcp, exportSnapshot, cluster
> replication, or plain file system (for scp or such).
Could you please explain a bit more in detail how achieve exportSnapshot to go through VPN.
Thank you.

> And, I know that sounds like a joke, perhaps sending it by mail could be
> a good plan. E.g. 10TB in one day (postal service is fast here ;) ),
> this would be a throughput of around 115 MB per second and would be
> super safe (pgp encryption is a good plan nevertheless).
>
> Furthermore I think that's a question for hbase-user.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Wilm
>
> Am 12.03.2015 um 18:38 schrieb Akmal Abbasov:
>> Hi, I am new to Hadoop Hbase. I have a Hbase cluster in one datacenter, and I need
to  create a backup in the second one. Currently the second HBase cluster is ready, and I
would like to import data from first cluster.
>> I would like to use exportSnapshot tool for this, I’ve tried it one my test environment,
and it worked well.
>> But, since know I am going to export to a different cluster in different datacenter,
I would like to be sure that my data is secure. So how I can make exportSnapshot secure?
>> As far as I understood exportSnapshot uses distcp tool to copy snapshot to destination
cluster, so in this case is it enough to configure distcp?