hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Matteo Bertozzi <theo.berto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion for using SHA-512 instead of MD5
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:42:26 GMT
do we really need that? also did you think about the impact of the size
difference between md5 and sha512 on META?

skipping the md5 math for a sec...
encoded region names are md5(<tableName>,<startKey>,<regionIdTimeStamp>)
so, even if we have a collision we can just increase the timestamp and
retry (the user only controls the startKey)

Matteo

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 8:57 AM, ashutosh jindal <ashutosh.jindal@huawei.com