hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestion for using SHA-512 instead of MD5
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:53:53 GMT
We simply use MD5 to get a hash where collision probability is very small.
There's no security implication, we don't use MD5 here to protect anything
in a cryptographic sense. In fact we could probably use a faster algorithm
with weaker collision properties for this, but MD5 is ok.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)