hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: First release candidate for HBase 0.99.2 (RC0) is available. Please vote by 12/06/2014
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 18:59:11 GMT
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Compiling Phoenix master against 0.99.2, I got:
> > http://pastebin.com/gaxCs8fT
> >
> > Some removed methods are in HBase classes that are marked
> > with @InterfaceAudience.Private
> > I want to get some opinion on whether such methods should be deprecated
> > first.

There is no room for 'opinion' in this area. A bunch of work has been done
to remove ambiguity around our guarantees. The law as it stands is:
InterfaceAudience.Private means: "APIs for HBase internals developers. No
guarantees on compatibility or availability in future versions. ..." (From
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#code.standards).  We can add verbiage but
you would have to have a perverse squint to interpret this "no guarantees"
as "no guarantees -- after a deprecation cycle".

That said, we are an accommodating lot.  I suggest you take the list over
to phoenix dev and that phoenix comes back with explicit asks rather than
this blanket list taken from a compile against their master branch.

As per Sean, this discussion does not belong on a dev release RC vote
thread, nor should it hold up its release.