hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vladrodio...@gmail.com>
Subject Region is out of bounds
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 06:04:14 GMT
This is what we observed in our environment(s)

The issue exists in CDH4.5, 5.1, HDP2.1, Mapr4

If some one sets # of blocking stores way above default value, say - 200 to
avoid write stalls during intensive data loading (do not ask me , why we do
this), then
one of the regions grows indefinitely and takes more 99% of overall table.

It can't be split because it still has orphaned reference files. Some of a
reference files are able to avoid compactions for a long time, obviously.

The split policy is IncreasingToUpperBound, max region size is 1G. I do my
tests on CDH4.5 mostly but all other distros seem have the same issue.

My attempt to add reference files forcefully to compaction list in
Store.requetsCompaction() when region exceeds recommended maximum size did
not work out well - some weird results in our test cases (but HBase tests
are OK: small, medium and large).

What is so special with these reference files? Any ideas, what can be done
here to fix the issue?

-Vladimir Rodionov