hbase-dev mailing list archives

From ramkrishna vasudevan <ramkrishna.s.vasude...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ByteBuffer Backed Cell - New APIs (HBASE-12358)
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:11:30 GMT
Thanks Jon and Nick for your feedback.

To Jon's suggestion
Yes we could deprecate the getXXXOffset and getXXXLength APIs.  In our code
anyway we need not use them and always go with the getBBXXXOFfset and
getBBXXXLength APIs. Am not pretty sure on the best way though. But adding
is not a problem at all.

To Nick's suggestion
I think anyway from the HFileBlock we would return that single Cell only
and that would any way be the sliced one that represents that particular
cell.
On the suggestion of always slicing and returning the buffers in the
getXXXBuffer() - take case of blockSeek.  Now we will try to compare the
row, family, qual etc.  So every time we would slice and return so many
small objects and do the comparison?

Having getXXXOffset and getXXXLength would mean that we are again
maintaining another state our self but that is in the Cell. (We thought
about that too).

And if we are going to go with the above suggestion then again getXXXOffset
or getBBXXXOffset and getXXXLength or getBBXXXLength would any be of no use
as the getXXXBuffer is anyway sliced.

Regards
Ram

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@gmail.com> wrote:

> From the perspective of API going forward, I prefer (2). BB already allows
> for encapsulating a sequence if bytes in a single object, so why
> re-implement that? I suspect you'll want to return slices to the caller
> anyway, because you don't want them messing with the backing store's
> position,
> limit, etc state.
>
> On Friday, December 5, 2014, Jonathan Hsieh <jon@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > I think of it from a compatibility point of view - each method has its
> own
> > semantics and the semantics should not morph between versions.
> >
> > With the repurposing the old apis approach, someone who ports to the new
> > version without porting to the api will likely run into some nasty
> > surprises.  Worse yet, they'd need to modify their code and understand
> the
> > details of what the semantics changes are.
> >
> > Having completely new apis makes it easier to see when deprecated
> > behavior/methods are removed and doesn't require code inspection to
> verify.
> > (can rely on compiler warnings)  Also, old code won't be broken (just
> less
> > efficient).
> >
> > Jon.
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 10:41 PM, ramkrishna vasudevan <
> > ramkrishna.s.vasudevan@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > > We thought about this suggestion too but this comes with a lot of more
> > > confusion (?) - what do you think?
> > > Adding new APIs but similar in behaviour could lead to lot more
> [...]
BB