hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Considering a RpcSchedulerFactory change in 0.98 for HBASE-12028
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:49:15 GMT
Hi Phoenix,

Please see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-12028

The proposed change if committed into 0.98 branch would introduce a new 'create' method into
the RpcSchedulerFactory interface that receives an Abortable as an additional parameter. Thus,
the factory can pass this on to schedulers and workers and if something terrible happens in
or to a RPC handler they can trigger a server abort. Due to a design oversight we don't otherwise
have this capability. In my opinion it is important to fix this oversight. (Phoenix can also
potentially make use of the Abortable for fatal issues involving indexes.) Otherwise RPC handlers
can silently terminate upon receiving an unhandled throwable, potentially leaving behind bad
state, certainly impacting performance and availability. However because RpcSchedulerFactory
is an interface any implementor will not compile after this change, until updated.

HBase could include this change in the next 0.98 release or not. Please advise.