hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: Review of "HBASE-10201 Port 'Make flush decisions per column family' to trunk" please
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:51:18 GMT
Ok. Small question on my side.

Let's say I have a VERY slow growing CF and a rapidly growing CF.

initially fist is let say 1MB and 2nd too.

2nd grows quickly to 127MB and get flushed, fine.

Now, 1st grows slowly to 10mb, then 20, then 60, then 100... But since the
2nd is always more active, the Memstore might reachs its limit when the 2nd
is written, and we might end up writting small files again and again
because the 1st slowly growing CF has not been flushed...

So I don't think flushing a single CF is always good. This might just move
the issue into another location. We need to have some logic to decide when
we flush all vs when we flush only one.

My 2ยข ;)

I will go in HBASE-10201 and read...

JM