hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Testing
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 23:41:19 GMT
A few notes on testing.

Too long to read, infra is more capable now and after some work, we are
seeing branch-1 and trunk mostly running blue. Lets try and keep it this
way going forward.

Apache Infra has new, more capable hardware.

A recent spurt of test fixing combined with more capable hardware seems to
have gotten us to a new place; tests are mostly passing now on branch-1 and
master.  Lets try and keep it this way and start to trust our test runs
again.  Just a few flakies remain.  Lets try and nail them.

Our tests now run in parallel with other test suites where previous we ran
alone. You can see this sometimes when our zombie detector reports tests
from another project altogether as lingerers (To be fixed).  Some of our
tests are failing because a concurrent hbase run is undoing classes and
data from under it. Also, lets fix.

Our tests are brittle. It takes 75minutes for them to complete.  Many are
heavy-duty integration tests starting up multiple clusters and mapreduce
all in the one JVM. It is a miracle they pass at all.  Usually integration
tests have been cast as unit tests because there was no where else for them
to get an airing.  We have the hbase-it suite now which would be a more apt
place but until these are run on a regular basis in public for all to see,
the fat integration tests disguised as unit tests will remain.  A review of
our current unit tests weeding the old cruft and the no longer relevant or
duplicates would be a nice undertaking if someone is looking to contribute.

Alex Newman has been working on making our tests work up on travis and
circle-ci.  That'll be sweet when it goes end-to-end.  He also added in
some "type" categorizations -- client, filter, mapreduce -- alongside our
old "sizing" categorizations of small/medium/large.  His thinking is that
we can run these categorizations in parallel so we could run the total
suite in about the time of the longest test, say 20-30minutes?  We could
even change Apache to run them this way.

FYI,
St.Ack