hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Dropping support for Hadoop 1.0 in 0.98
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:56:37 GMT
Hadoop 1.0 is an ancient, and I believe dead, version that certainly nobody
should use today. We have a chronic problem on the 0.98 branch with changes
tested on only Hadoop 2 later are found to break builds against Hadoop 1,
since only 0.94 and 0.98 still support Hadoop 1.x. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-12397 as an example. This issue
also illustrates that dropping support for 1.0 while retaining support for
1.1 and later versions of Hadoop 1.x can reduce cross-version compatibility
complexity for at least the API involved in that issue, and certainly
others. This in my opinion is a good thing.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)