hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin O'dell" <kevin.od...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: thinking about supporting upgrades to HBase 1.x and 2.x
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:25:44 GMT
I believe that Jon has it right.  Previously we had been treating 9x as
major upgrades and breaking compatibility between 90 -> 92 for example(I
know it is old).  Going forward from a supportability standpoint we should
guarantee rolling upgrades to 1.0, 1.1, 1.2...1.9.  Major version upgrades
should always reserve the right to break compatibility, this will give us
the ability to make more drastic HFile version changes, RPC changes, etc.
 That is not to say we should make all major version upgrades painful, but
the guarantee should not be mandatory.

--
Kevin O'Dell
Systems Engineer, Cloudera