hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: First release candidate for HBase 0.99.0 (RC0) is available. Please vote by 09/17/2014
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:02:46 GMT
Thanks for doing the helpful writeup Enis. It helps doing evaluation.

I have one question below.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Enis Söztutar <enis@apache.org> wrote:

> Starting with 0.99.0, the HBase master server and backup master servers
> will
> also act as a region server. RPC port and info port for web UI is shared
> for
> the master and region server roles. Active master will be hosting the meta
> table (and other hbase system tables, acl and namespace) by default
> (unless configured otherwise). The master and backup masters will not be
> hosting user level regions. See HBASE-10569 and HBASE-11604 for more
> details.

I think we should change this so this is NOT the default in 1.0. What do
folks think?  The new deploy topology will surprise going from earlier
version. Better folks enable it explicitly*?
St.Ack

* I used to be in favor of this feature being on by default but I have
since changed my mind given how I see meta hosting evolving in the
near-future.