hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject what label is used for issues that are good on ramps for new contributors?
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:43:57 GMT
I'd like to add to the "Getting Involved" section on jira[1] to add a
pointer to issues that are a good for ramping up on HBase development.

Preferably, these would be tickets that

* Have been vetted as desired and non-controversial
* Are low priority so they need not be done under time pressure
* Offer a view of some (small-ish) part of the code base
* Require minimal information about HBase outside of the section to be fixed

Before I add file a ticket and put up a patch, what label do we use to mark
these tickets? Looking at jira, I can see some evidence of both "newbie"[2]
and "noob"[3].

I am used to seeing "newbie" on other projects, so I had started with that
label. However, it looks like "noob" is used more regularly on HBase.

I worry that "noob" might be viewed as pejorative and discourage some
potential contributors.

[1]: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#jira
[2]: http://s.apache.org/exr
[3]: http://s.apache.org/XS6