hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Ruby scripting in HBase?
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:06:38 GMT
Guys,

I've been looking into some service scripting around HBase lifecycle
management, etc. and couldn't help but wonder why those were written in Ruby
of all JVM languages? Historical legacy aside, it seems that current HBase is
still using JRuby 1.6.5 vs the latest at 1.9+ or perhaps even later.

At any rate, I was wondering if replacing Ruby with a more Java-like scripting
extension (if the scripting-2-Java API bridge is what indeed desired) would be
of any interest here? An obvious choice would be Groovy
(http://groovy.codehaus.org/). One of the main reasons behind my proposal is
stack simplification: Bigtop is very actively using Groovy as a scripting
language of choice to do builds, develop smoke tests, etc. So, it is already
there and guaranteed to be installed as a part of any Bigtop-derived Hadoop
distro. There are other benefits, where, if desired, one can just write Java
code inside of a Groovy script, without a need to learn yet another language
like Ruby.

This is perhaps not of an immediate priority for the community, but if there's
enough interest, I can give it an initial shot to demo'ed what I am really
talking about.

Thoughts?
--
Regards,