hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A better way to migrate the whole cluster?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2014 05:34:00 GMT
What version of HBase? How are you running CopyTable? A day for 1.8T is not what we would expect.
You can definitely take a snapshot and then export the snapshot to another cluster, which
will move the actual files; but CopyTable should not be so slow.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: tobe <tobeg3oogle@gmail.com>
To: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: dev@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:18 PM
Subject: A better way to migrate the whole cluster?

Sometimes our users want to upgrade their servers or move to a new
datacenter, then we have to migrate the data from HBase. Currently we
enable the replication from the old cluster to the new cluster, and run
CopyTable to move the older data.

It's a little inefficient. It takes more than one day to migrate 1.8T data
and more time to verify. Can we have a better way to do that, like snapshot
or purely HDFS files?

And what's the best practise or your valuable experience?