hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop-Azure storage
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:13:44 GMT
The idea is to be able to run HBase directly on top of WASB, rather than
HDFS. The data files are managed and stored in block blobs which are
suitable for this workload. The WAL files are stored in page blobs.

For that regards, we have been working on getting the durability / recovery
semantics that HBase requires from the underlying filesystem to be
implemented on top of azure page blobs. Things like atomic renames,
recoverLease, etc for ensuring fencing, etc. I can go into more details if
anyone is interested.

I believe there is already a preview of this here:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatforminsider/archive/2014/06/06/announcing-the-preview-of-apache-hbase-clusters-inside-microsoft-azure-hdinsight.aspx

Enis