hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org>
Subject [NOTICE] Branching for 1.0
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:30:09 GMT

I will be creating the branch named "branch-1" in a couple of hours (see

We have agreed to go with the branching structure that will look like this:

master (2.0-SNAPSHOT)
| branch-1 (1.1-SNAPSHOT)
| |
| | branch-1.0 (1.0.1-SNAPSHOT)
| | |
| | x (1.0.0)
| | |
| |/
| x (0.99.1)
| |
| x (0.99.0)
| |

This structure will give us flexibility to have both multiple active 1.x
releases, and have 2.0 patches to be committable. And also we can use
semantic versioning for our releases from now on [4].

For now, the repo will look like as below, and before 1.0.0, branch-1.0
will be forked from branch-1 and the tree will more like as above.

master (2.0-SNAPSHOT)
| branch-1 (0.99.0-SNAPSHOT)
| |
| |

As a reminder, 0.99.0 release and any more releases in 0.99.x release will
be labeled as "developer releases" as a way to prepare for 1.0.0. 0.99.x
will NOT have any forward / backward compatibility guarantees and not
intended for production. I aim to get the 0.99.0RC0 cut by end of this
week. We should only accept patches relevant to 1.0.0 release to the
branch-1 from now on. On that note, it will be good to re-kindle the
interest in jiras around https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10856.
Please feel free to pick up any issue that you consider important to fix
for HBase-1.0 release.

Jira labels:
 - I've created 2.0.0 label in jira. We now have 0.99.0, 1.0.0, and 2.0.0
labels corresponding to branches in progress. If you commit anything to
master, please mark the jira with 2.0.0 label.

Jenkins builds:
 - I'll set up a build for HBase-1.0 using JDK-1.7.

Your RM, Enis

[4] http://semver.org/