hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: jdk 1.7 & trunk
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:13:05 GMT
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Nicolas Liochon <nkeywal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok Enis I like the definition you put in the thread.
>
> Dropping support explicitly means that we stop building against
> JDK6 in jenkins, and won't try to fix issues if they are jdk6 only. Release
> testing and unit tests are done on jdk7.

This is good by me.

> And it implies; we may start to use 1.7 specific features.

Are there explicitly 1.7 features we want to make use of?  Looking at this
list, we might be able to do without:
http://marxsoftware.blogspot.com/2011/03/jdk-7-new-interfaces-classes-enums-and.html
 Unless distinct advantage to be had, suggest we avoid breaking our being
able to run on 1.6. 1.0 hbase will be out in a world that is hadoop
2.3.x-2.5.x  These do not preclude running on 1.6.

> With this definition:
> 1) Do we drop support for JDK6 in .98

No.  Not over a point release I'd say.

> 2) Do we drop support for JDK6 in 1.0

Thinking on it, I'd say yes.  1.6 is EOL.  1.7 makes you faster.  Caveat
suggestion above that we try and avoid gratuitously breaking 1.6.

> Does anyone think we need to discuss this or can we start a vote on this?
> If there is no objection I will start the vote thread in an hour or two.

We can vote.  Could also just decide.

St.Ack