hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge branch HBASE-10070 to trunk
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 23:44:36 GMT
On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jon@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Personally I prefer the merge for these large feature branches -- it
> guarantees that each commit is compilable, and reflects what you guys have
> been testing for a while.  If you go with the last approach you might have
> stuff broken, and in the mainline commit path.

‚ÄčThis is why I asked for the final patches to be broken out with git
format-patch and attached to the JIRA, so we know what was finally
committed.

To allay these concerns it would be great, if rebasing the 10070 patches
consecutively on top of trunk, ‚Äčto check that the result passes the typical
release candidate checks and only push after it checks out.

My opinion is this need not be a requirement, even with a history
preserving merge into trunk we can end up in a broken state if fixups are
committed in the merge commit. We would have the additional complication of
a delta committed in the merge commit not directly associated with a JIRA.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)