hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How to make HBase survive a laptop standby
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 21:19:44 GMT

"I just realized that, for years, I've been countlessly restarted hbase every time my laptop
gets out of standby.
I know well why I do this, but I also know I could probably not do it  and that I don't have
to do with Hadoop or Zookeeper or other services and I wish I wouldn't need to with Hbase

So short term, I'd like to know if there a better way already.

Long term I think this is a bigger, more fundamental resiliency aspect that perhaps is not
trivial, but probably worth thinking about in the real deployments context and I wonder if
there's something that tries to solve this already."

This was the initial quote.

My question about the PC refers to his first quote.

As to the second quote. I am asking what was meant by 'network partition'.

I am aware that Cosmin could have been talking about looking at one problem, his pc issue,
which triggered thought on a greater problem, yet I seem to be missing the context because
I don't understand what is meant by 'network partition' in context of the discussion.

Again, first blush. Not a good idea.

On Jun 5, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Michael Segel <msegel_hadoop@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Could you clarify what you mean by 'network partition' ?
>> First blush... not a good idea.
>> Can you please explain how a laptop suspend is an issue for those running
>> HBase in a production environment?
> Cosmin did not say that Michael.
> St.Ack

purely accidental.