hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Git Migration In Progress (WAS => Re: Git Migration)
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 23:19:10 GMT
> crew).  On feature branches, lets see.  Squash if messy history (most
> cases?)?

One immediate example is HBASE-10070 branch. We wanted a smooth merge, so
the branch history is clean and every commit traces to a jira (with reviews
etc).

For "official" feature branches which will be pushed to the main repo, I
think we should
require a similar thing. If people need a working branch with less-clean
history, there is
no need to push that to the asf repo.

> The Accumulo doc makes for a good start [1] (ignoring where their branching
> style is different to ours). It is informed by the Kafka contributors
> workflow doc, also a good read [2]. When in doubt, do as we've done in the
> past: e.g. adding patch to JIRA for hadoopqa run. Dump dev pains and
> suggested solutions into this thread. Lets keep this thread alive with
> issues we run into as a dev team and our (suggested) solutions. As our
> practice diverges from that outline in docs above, lets note and add doc
> locally?

+1 for a local doc.
I like both of the documents. Kafka does not touch on merge between
branches at all. I used to do
commit-to-master than cherry-pick in the other branches (if applicable)
otherwise create a different patch and commit approach rather
than merges across release branches. This is more similar to our svn model.

I think for existing release branches, the merge is out of question (if I
understand this correctly). We always did trunk-first than cherry-pick into
branches approach, while Accumulo suggests that we do earlier branch first,
then merge into master. Since I don't have experience on this,
not sure whether that will work for us or not.