hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Git Migration In Progress (WAS => Re: Git Migration)
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 18:17:07 GMT
Migration is almost done.  Next up will be verifying all made it over.
 Till then GIT is read-only.  See the INFRA issue for status.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a resolution published somewhere? Do we have any ground rules for
> making effective use of git? For instance, if we want to maintain linear
> histories, we should enforce fast-forward only pushes. Do we allow forced
> pushes to published branches? What about policies for feature branches --
> should these preserve history? Will we squish the feature into a single
> commit? &c.
>
> Git is very nice, but also gives us more rope than we had before.

Agreed.

Lets try and hold to linear histories and our current practice version
branching (as suggested over in the DISCUSSION thread by a few our our dev
crew).  On feature branches, lets see.  Squash if messy history (most
cases?)?

The Accumulo doc makes for a good start [1] (ignoring where their branching
style is different to ours). It is informed by the Kafka contributors
workflow doc, also a good read [2]. When in doubt, do as we've done in the
past: e.g. adding patch to JIRA for hadoopqa run. Dump dev pains and
suggested solutions into this thread. Lets keep this thread alive with
issues we run into as a dev team and our (suggested) solutions. As our
practice diverges from that outline in docs above, lets note and add doc
locally?

I need to heads-up our FB brothers and sisters too....

St.Ack

1. http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html
2.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Patch+submission+and+review#Patchsubmissionandreview-Simplecontributorworkflow