hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.94.20RC0 tonight...
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 16:41:51 GMT
I'm not sure that's necessary.

I used to tag 0.98 RCs with 'svn copy' and then commit version changes,
changes.txt, doc updates, etc on top of the tag, then check out the result
(in svn a tag is a branch is a tag), build it, test it, and release it.

With git the process could be very similar. Take your tracking branch, make
the release-ish updates, commit them (you can "squash" multiple local steps
with git commit -a --amend), but to the local tracking branch only. When
you have all of the changes in place as a commit ready to go upstream, try
a push. If someone else has pushed first upstream, your push of the
combined release-ish changes will fail. Rebase your local release changes
(git fetch upstream && git rebase --ignore-date upstream/branch, update
changes.txt, git commit -a --amend) try again. Your commit of all of the
release changes will be atomic in this respect. It does mean that in rare
cases you might have to accept an unexpected commit into your RC, but our
branch commit frequency is few per day so that is unlikely.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)