hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On coprocessor API evolution
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 10:24:04 GMT
Yes it's clear you have been laughing at many of the responses and have been having a merry
time concern trolling your favorite straw man. You insist on fixating on analogies we have
used to explain coprocessors to advanced users and spinning that into an absolutist (and ridiculous)
position that doesn't match up with what everyone else is telling you. At some point you need
to stop talking and start listening. The insults are not helping your case. Or maybe that's
the point. Yes Michael you are the RDBMS king and we are all idiots. Happy? Now consider this:
That means nothing as HBase isn't even in that space. Maybe you should try this over on the
MySQL or Postgres mailing lists.

> On May 19, 2014, at 12:06 AM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Remind me how you do server side execution?
> I suggest you go through the emails on both the dev and user hbase list and you’ll
see that when describing coprocessors, you’ll see the terms ‘trigger’ and ‘stored
procedures’ which are terms most DBAs and Data modelers are familiar with.
> And if you read my email earlier in the thread, I said that the analogy fell a little
short because of the extensibility aspect.
> I have to ask, how many of the committers and readers on this thread have actual RDBMs
experience that goes beyond mySQL, and maybe Postgres.  I mentioned Sybase’s Adaptive Server
as well as Informix’s IDS.  Anyone know what I’m talking about? How about Oracle? DB2?
 I’ll even add Dick Pick’s Revelation or U2 (Universe) which are hierarchal systems.
> The fact that you said ‘it ain’t broken’ means that you just don’t understand
the problem. Even after Kevin O’Dell admitted that his (Cloudera’s) customers who are
using coprocessors are complaining of HBase not behaving in a stable fashion. It may be their
code and lack of understanding, but Cloudera still has to address it and you can’t say using
coprocessors voids the warranty. (Sorry Andrew, I had to laugh at that one…)
> I understand completely what coprocessors were designed for.  What you don’t seem to
understand is that the design and implementation which falls short and open it up to potential
reliability issues.
> To be clear… I haven’t even talked about APIs, I’m talking about the core design.

> To the best of my knowledge,  MapR’s M7 doesn’t have coprocessors. I’ll wager that
when they do, it will work and not have these issues. I believe that they are writing their
stuff in C/C++, if so, then they’d have an advantage of using shared memory.  Apache would
have write C/C++ code and wrap it in JNI… which you may not want to do…
> But getting back to the issue at hand… if HBase is viewed as hard to tune and hard
to keep up… people are going to look towards other solutions.
> I believe you can already disable the ability to create enduser coprocessors. When you
load the last system coprocessor, you load one that looks to see who’s trying to add a coprocessor
and you just deny it. If you wanted to make a formal change, then you would just have a database
permission that you either GRANT or REVOKE the ability of a user the privilege  to add coprocessors.
But that would mean more work for someone.
> -Mike
>> On May 18, 2014, at 9:58 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
>> Coprocessors are a means to extend HBase. Nothing more, nothing less. They are not
stored procedures or triggers.
>> Not sure in how many other ways we can/need to phrase that.
>> I agree that there should be a simple way to disable user coprocessors (or at least
disable loading from HDFS) for the security conscious. Let's do that, it's simple.
>> There is nothing to "fix" since it ain't broken. It's only seems broken when you
do not understand what it was designed for.
>> You want a new API for less invasive things in a sandbox, more like stored procedures
and triggers... Sure, let's do that too. But realize that is a *new* use case, and that we'll
keep the old stuff.
>> -- Lars
>> ________________________________
problem and that is making coprocessors safe.
>> Its not an easy fix, and it would mean pretty much starting from scratch. Trying
to kludge a fix is harder and will not be as good.
>> Maybe you can salvage some code, but the issue is fixing coprocessors at the lowest
level and work back up.
>> You have to isolate the code to one or more separate jvms so you can not only stop,
but reload the processes.
>> This is more than just simple triggers but also extensibility.
>> If you could pick the brains of some of the folks still under Kevin Foster (@IBM)
who work on IDS… you could get some ideas.
>>> On May 18, 2014, at 7:01 AM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
>>> We've seen similar issues with Filters. Those are good rules to follow.
>>> class default impl.
>>> 3) Preserve backward compatibility by adding only new hooks/methods

View raw message