hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org>
Subject JDK6 in 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 20:43:52 GMT
Hi,

Just wanted to kick off a discussion around whether or not we would
explicitly drop support for JDK6 in 1.0, and hence all 1.x releases.

There has been some discussion on hadoop common-dev[1] about this with no
conclusion so far. The general consensus was that hadoop might drop jdk6
support in 3.0, but keep it for 2.x releases (which makes sense for them).

I would like us to come to a decision for 1.0, and document this in either
outcome so that all 1.x releases can be validated against that decision.

1) Drop JDK6 support in 1.0 series:
 - In this case, we will switch all jenkins builds of trunk (precommit as
well) to jdk7. 0.98- builds might keep jdk6 and jdk7 builds.
 - Trunk code can use JDK7 APIs.

2) NOT drop JDK6 support in 1.0
 - Keep a jenkins build running on jdk6 with trunk running unit tests.
 - Decide whether we can drop support in 2.x.

In either case we document this in book (A JDK version x HBase version
release matrix)

[1]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201404.mbox/%3CCABbyifM02nMVaRpARPqnSeJ8gb5x9WTTy8c18tAfr6Z4tQLy2g@mail.gmail.com%3E

Enis