hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding removal of deprecated APIs
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:35:13 GMT
I think it is ok to remove some of the deprecated stuff out.

However, the way to deal with is probably on a case-by-case basis. For
example, some of the HTable APIs had been removed in 0.98, but re-added
back before release because Hive/Pig and possibly other downstreamers still
want to work with 0.94.x through 0.98. If the API that replaces the
deprecated stuff is not there in 0.94 (also early minor versions of
0.94.x), then we will be forcing our downstreamers to have a shim /
reflection layer.

In trunk, we have also deprecated some HConnectionManager / Hconnection
stuff, and I plan to finish up work in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10602, and deprecate whole
bunch of "core" APIs. We cannot just remove these unfortunately.

Enis