hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDK6 in 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:52:05 GMT
On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> What does support for JDK 6 mean in the community context here?

For me, dropping support explicitly means that we stop building against
JDK6 in jenkins, and won't try to fix issues if they are jdk6 only. Release
testing
and unit tests are done on jdk7.

> The Hadoop discussion (eventually) settled on when they might adopt APIs
> only available in JDK 7 or later. We have no such proposals on the table
> here, right? I see this mentioned in option #1 but is there any 7+ API we
> care about? Otherwise that discussion is premature.

There are only a handful of new APIs, which we can live without. I think
the issue is about whether we will reject a patch
or not if it contains JDK7 APIs. G1 is there, but we probably do not want
to default to that for now.

> Unless we pick up new 7+ APIs then it's a question of what runtimes we are
> running builds against or testing with. I plan to do this with 7 and 8 just
> as a personal preference. Keeping the lights on for JDK 6 on Jenkins seems
> perfectly fine to do if we have volunteers to fix the issues found there.
> That begs the question what happens when that build starts failing. Simply
> filing JIRAs pointing out test failures is noise, those are junk issues
> without failure analysis and patches. I suspect someone will do occasional
> searches for such issues and close as Invalid or Cannot Reproduce. Anyone
> here interested in committing to fix failing JDK 6 builds?

We can decide to keep the JDK6 but deprecate. To me, that means that the
code should still compile
and jenkins will run unit tests against it, but usual testing for release
and precommit builds etc
are done with jdk7. JDK6 is supported on a volunteer basis as you suggest.