hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Shelukhin <ser...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Disambiguate cell time for 1.0
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2014 01:16:15 GMT
Just to clarify what I was saying, there was a JIRA where we were
discussing this.
Server clocks are unreliable and when region moves (or if we have writable
replicas) between-server clocks are even more sor.
So we cannot really promise consistency wrt order even for requests from
the same client now; even if we manage TS 100%.
My suggestion was that we have 3 modes: (1) we manage TS on server => TS
gets written as seqNum which has guarantees, no client-supplied TS; (2)
client manages TS and supplies it, fail put if no TS; (3) legacy compat
mode, but TS is generated in the client library instead of RS, so the onus
is on the client app/client's server to manage clocks and there's no
expectation that HBase will guarantee order.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE