hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vladrodio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase region server failure issues
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:54:23 GMT
I do not think its a good idea to have one WAL file per region. All WAL
file idea is based on assumption that  writing data sequentially reduces
average latency and increases total throughput. This is no longer a case in
a one WAL file per region approach, you may have hundreds active regions
per RS and all sequential writes become random ones and random IO for
rotational media is very bad, very bad.

-Vladimir Rodionov