hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject The builds.apache.org grind
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 22:13:05 GMT
​​Do we keep filing the "TestFoo occasionally fails on builds.apache.org"
type of issues as builds.apache.org gets slower and slower? We can see the
build results independent of JIRA so for documentary purposes the rationale
seems light.

I run the 0.98 unit test suite 20 times daily on JDK 6 and 7 boxes and have
not observed failures or zombies for a while now. Those EC2 VMs are clearly
reasonable test environments compared to builds.apache.org, sadly. I'm
tempted to close any test issue reporting something on
builds.apache.orgthat I don't see as Cannot Reproduce but wonder how
common that feeling is.

Of course small patches to increase a timeout here or retry more often
there could be useful and acceptable. At the same time, do we increase the
tolerances for builds.apache.org and trade away the effectiveness of the
test to catch real timing issues?

--
Best regards,

   - Andy