hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBase region server failure issues
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:20:21 GMT
# of WALs as roughly spindles / replication factor seems intuitive. Would
be interesting to benchmark.

As for one WAL per region, the BigTable paper IIRC says they didn't because
of concerns about the number of seeks in the filesystems underlying GFS and
because it would reduce the effectiveness of group commit throughput
optimization. If WALs are backed by SSD certainly the first consideration
no longer holds. We also had a global HDFS file limit to contend with. I
know HDFS is incrementally improving the scalabilty of a namespace, but
this is still an active consideration. (Or we could try partitioning a
deploy over a federated namespace? Could be "interesting". Has anyone tried
that? I haven't heard.)

--
Best regards,

   - Andy