hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK6 in 1.0
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:34:36 GMT
What does support for JDK 6 mean in the community context here?

The Hadoop discussion (eventually) settled on when they might adopt APIs
only available in JDK 7 or later. We have no such proposals on the table
here, right? I see this mentioned in option #1 but is there any 7+ API we
care about? Otherwise that discussion is premature.

Unless we pick up new 7+ APIs then it's a question of what runtimes we are
running builds against or testing with. I plan to do this with 7 and 8 just
as a personal preference. Keeping the lights on for JDK 6 on Jenkins seems
perfectly fine to do if we have volunteers to fix the issues found there.
That begs the question what happens when that build starts failing. Simply
filing JIRAs pointing out test failures is noise, those are junk issues
without failure analysis and patches. I suspect someone will do occasional
searches for such issues and close as Invalid or Cannot Reproduce. Anyone
here interested in committing to fix failing JDK 6 builds?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Enis Söztutar <enis@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> Just wanted to kick off a discussion around whether or not we would
> explicitly drop support for JDK6 in 1.0, and hence all 1.x releases.
> There has been some discussion on hadoop common-dev[1] about this with no
> conclusion so far. The general consensus was that hadoop might drop jdk6
> support in 3.0, but keep it for 2.x releases (which makes sense for them).
> I would like us to come to a decision for 1.0, and document this in either
> outcome so that all 1.x releases can be validated against that decision.
> 1) Drop JDK6 support in 1.0 series:
>  - In this case, we will switch all jenkins builds of trunk (precommit as
> well) to jdk7. 0.98- builds might keep jdk6 and jdk7 builds.
>  - Trunk code can use JDK7 APIs.
> 2) NOT drop JDK6 support in 1.0
>  - Keep a jenkins build running on jdk6 with trunk running unit tests.
>  - Decide whether we can drop support in 2.x.
> In either case we document this in book (A JDK version x HBase version
> release matrix)
> [1]
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201404.mbox/%3CCABbyifM02nMVaRpARPqnSeJ8gb5x9WTTy8c18tAfr6Z4tQLy2g@mail.gmail.com%3E
> Enis