hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jimmy Xiang <jxi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Co-locate meta and master, and beyond
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:08:29 GMT
Here is a heads up on some work I've been doing of late.

My goal is to make region assignment simpler, faster, more reliable

and maintainable making it so we are able to handle many more regions

more efficiently (improve mttr, and lessen impact of compactions), and

to eventually look into quorum-based master service.

In HBASE-10569, I posted a patch that makes a HMaster also a
HRegionServer.  I've also done work so that we can co-locate the meta
region with the master server. These changes are based on one of the
agreements per the discussion in HBASE-5487, the master re-design.

We should be able to do a rolling restart on to this new basis (I'm

working on it).

Putting the master and regionserver processes together and making it

so meta and master are also together is a step toward making it easier
doing
region assignment without using ZK, another agreement from HBASE-5487.

Thanks.

Jimmy