hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Atri Sharma <atri.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Online merging of Regions
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2014 20:01:42 GMT
Hi all,

Just as a theoretical interest, do we support online merging of Regions in
any way? Are there ways to merge Regions while still supporting reads and
writes to them?

If not, can we do them in the following manner:

At each major delete/explicit order from user to merge Regions, we can
create a new empty memstore which will take any reads for the Region in
discussion. Then, we can build a leftist tree of the Region and store it in
the memory itself. We so not need to write it into disk yet. This shall
also allow us to serve reads using the Region itself without any extra
additional copies.

We do it for all the Regions being merged and then merge the leftist trees
made ordered by the range of keys served by the Regions. We then traverse
the final all merged leftist tree, write its data to a HFile and write the
new memstore being used for write's data into the HFile as well.

It's just a thought.Please let me know your feedback and comments on it.

Regards,

Atri

--
Regards,