hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Mikhail Antonov <olorinb...@gmail.com>
Subject Splitting table by column family
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 18:37:26 GMT
Hey guys,

I have one question regarding splitting the table to regions which I
couldn't find the complete answer for.

So I found in the various sources that the region split divides the table
by the rowkey, and that the single row is always guaranteed to be contained
within the single region.

However, I've heard also information that for the huge (wide) rows, there
is also a possibility to split them by column families, i.e. the huge
single row can actually have it's column families located in different
regions, hence, the single row can span multiple regions.

Having looked at the regionserver sources of SplitTransaction and around, I
couldn't find anything related to splitting the row by the column families.

Could you please advise me if it's actually possible or not?

--
Thanks,
Michael Antonov