hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>
Subject Dynamically deploying filters?
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 20:54:38 GMT
Hi,

In the current HBase versions a Filter needs to be deployed by putting a
jar into all region servers (and depending on the HBase version restart the
regionservers).

I'm in a multi tenant cluster environment where we may run into the need to
have both the old and the new version of a Filter available at the same
time. Also the option of having a method of easily trying out a new
implementation for a Filter (to see if it performs better) would be a lot
easier if it were possible to use a custom Filter without having to put it
onto all region servers.

So after some Googling I found this interesting experiment for dynamically
uploading the Filter code with the Scan:
http://tech.flurry.com/2012/12/06/exploring-dynamic-loading-of-custom-filters-i/

My question: Is such a feature planned for the mainline HBase?

--
Best regards

Niels Basjes