hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DISCUSS: We need a mascot, a totem HBASE-4920
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 22:37:28 GMT
Let's do it as long as we're not calling it a "fish".

+1

________________________________
 From: Stack <stack@duboce.net>
To: HBase Dev List <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: DISCUSS: We need a mascot, a totem HBASE-4920

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Nicolas Liochon <nkeywal@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 for the Orca.
> > Personally, I like this one:
> >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12511412/HBase%20Orca%20Logo.jpg
>

> As do I.

My thought is that this thread is about taking on the Orca as a mascot.  It
seems to be passing (apart from the 'in favors' here, we got another +1
over in the HBASE-4920).  My fear is that if we start discussing how the
mascot is represented, this thread will devolve into design by a committee
of engineers and we'll just go back to the impasse that had us shelve the
effort at adopting a mascot two years ago.  So I suggest that we put up the
graphic that is in the head of this thread for now; it is a clean,
non-nonsense representation of the non-nonsense fish.  Then let us bask a
moment in the fact that we now have a mascot and in a separate effort, work
on how we want to represent it*?

You Nicks ok w/ this?

St.Ack
* I see no reason to hard-code our mascot representation or logo for that
matter.  Let them evolve as with any other aspect of this project.
P.S. That little red circle is too anemic IMO to use as a logo; is it even
clear it is an Orca (we can discuss in new issue?)