hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Cleanup HTable public interface
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:03:36 GMT
HBASE-6580 replaced the preferred means of HTableInterface acquisition to
the HConnection#getTable factory methods. HBASE-9117 removes the
HConnection cache, placing the burden of responsible connection cleanup on
whomever acquires it.

The remaining HTable constructors use a Connection instance and manage
their own HConnection on the callers behalf. This is convenient but also a
surprising source of poor performance for anyone accustomed to the previous
connection caching behavior. I propose deprecating those remaining
constructors for 0.98/0.96 and removing them for 1.0.

While I'm at it, I suggest we pursue some API hygiene in general and
convert HTable into an interface. Can that be done for 1.0 as well?