hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary API compatibility is not a requirement for any 0.98 release candidate
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 02:19:14 GMT
Thanks for starting the discussion.

I think it should be ok to go w/o binary compat. The only downside is the
extended effort the downstreamers have to bear, since they might have to
release versions compiled against 96 or 98 separately.

I went over the changes from Alex in client and hbase packages.

It seems that the Scan change is the only one in the client package for
binary compat for the Public interfaces. We have a patch at HBASE-10460.

HBASE-10324 caused the changes in HTD to break the deprecated methods. But
it is easy to fix.

This leaves only the KV changes:
http://people.apache.org/~jmhsieh/hbase_jdiff_report-p-0.96-c-0.98/changes.html

KV is changed to private, so there is no point in trying to undo those
changes I think.

I would +1 documenting that 0.96 and 0.98 are not binary compatible, but in
the mean time fix the 2 issues in Scan and HTD so that if the users are not
using KV, they will be binary compat. What do you think?

BTW, I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-10462 as a
blocker against 1.0.

Enis