hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary API compatibility is not a requirement for any 0.98 release candidate
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 23:13:24 GMT
I am not arguing the minor patches in question. Put them in. What I am saying is voting -1
on a release because of binary compatibility issues misses the earlier discussion where the
consensus was not to do that.

> On Feb 4, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jon@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Andrew,
>
> I basically agree with lars here -- the ship has sailed here. However, there are some
patches that restored binary compat in places committed to 0.98 already.  (IMO actually this
would be an argument to fork earlier in the future)

and @InterfaceStability.Stable -- and I think they fix there should get into 0.98.

> Jon.
>

>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
>> My $0.02...
>>
>> Wire (client-server and server-server) compatibility is a must have.
>> Binary compatibility should be a best effort. I.e. we shouldn't go out of our way
to break things, but if we want to clean up an API we should do that.