hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Shelukhin <ser...@hortonworks.com>
Subject 1.0 and cleaning up the APIs
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 01:43:40 GMT
Hi.

I was wondering if we intend to release 1.0 as compatible version with 0.96
and 0.98. I would assume so..
If so, then after 1.0, or if not then maybe even for 1.0, to have the first
proper release with clean APIs, I wonder if we should institute a cleanup
of client APIs.
In particular, I have 3 things in mind
1) Making all APIs async by default, with extra parameters/effort/... to
make sync calls.
After all making sync out of async is very easy, have a callback/whatever
and wait for it to be called. Other way around it's not so easy.
2) Resolving visibility issues (where way more things than necessary are
visible), and issues like in HTable class where there are tons of legacy
overloads for processBatchCallback/etc. that should be removed.
3) Getting rid of various behaviors that were kept to be compatible with 94
(e.g. non-intuitive put error handling in HTable).

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE