hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: 1.0 and cleaning up the APIs
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:46:55 GMT
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <sergey@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I was wondering if we intend to release 1.0 as compatible version with 0.96
> and 0.98. I would assume so..

+1

Lets get 1.0 out sooner rather than later.

> If so, then after 1.0, or if not then maybe even for 1.0, to have the first
> proper release with clean APIs, I wonder if we should institute a cleanup
> of client APIs.

I think a cleanup of APIs for 1.0 would be in order.

> In particular, I have 3 things in mind
> 1) Making all APIs async by default, with extra parameters/effort/... to
> make sync calls.
> After all making sync out of async is very easy, have a callback/whatever
> and wait for it to be called. Other way around it's not so easy.

This sounds like a post-1.0 effort.

> 2) Resolving visibility issues (where way more things than necessary are
> visible), and issues like in HTable class where there are tons of legacy
> overloads for processBatchCallback/etc. that should be removed.

+1

 Our Jon Hsieh did a monster job narrowing the API for 0.96 w/ annotations
which should help here.

> 3) Getting rid of various behaviors that were kept to be compatible with 94
> (e.g. non-intuitive put error handling in HTable).

+1

What you suggest Mr Sergey?  Filing blockers against 1.0?  Any deprecations
needed in 0.98 before it goes out?

St.Ack